Almas Temple

The Almas Temple was built in 1929 by Allen H. Potts, a Temple member. It is a shining example of Middle Eastern architecture rarely seen in the United States. In 1987 the five-story structure had to be completely dismantled and relocated to accommodate the development of a new office complex. Graciano Corporation was instrumental in this massive undertaking.

photo insetphoto insetphoto insetphoto inset

The project included:

  • Piece-by-piece dismantling of the intricate, multicolored terra-cotta façade.
  • Numbering cataloging, removal and storage of about 35,000 terra-cotta units.
  • Meticulous cleaning and repair of terra-cotta units.
  • Careful cleaning of old mortar from the backs of the tiles.
  • Replacement of over 100 terra-cotta pieces that were damaged beyond repair; in keeping with Graciano’s standards, these were cast and fired by Gladding McBean and Company, employing the same process used to manufacture the originals.
  • Refinishing of entrance doors.
  • Replication of wooden window frames.
  • Reproduction of leaded glass to match old window panes.

Project Portfolio Images

Almas Temple
Almas Temple
Almas Temple
Almas Temple
Almas Temple
Almas Temple
Almas Temple
Almas Temple

Project Details

  • Completion Date: 6/30/1990
  • Owner: Order of Masons
  • Architect: Mary Oehrlein and Associates
  • General Contractor: Graciano Corporation

Glossary Items